2011 The Fiat Uno Sporting

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/TMCtmRPSQDI/AAAAAAADc5c/zBWmWRmS3oU/s1600/Fiat-Uno-Sporting-5.jpg

Car insurance is usually a matter of great worry for youngsters. The young driver, often, has to dish out more than others do just because he is availing of the privilege to drive. Nowadays, however, the young driver of today has many options for decreasing the expenses incurred through the car insurance. If you know where to look, there are great offers for cheap car insurance for 17 year olds. One important thing that the youngsters have to keep in mind is that the amount of insurance they have to pay depends a lot on the model of the car they use.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/TMCtmEmO1RI/AAAAAAADc5U/Qos2Fqoz4eg/s1600/Fiat-Uno-Sporting-4.jpg
The Fiat Uno Sporting

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/TMCtlnFsq3I/AAAAAAADc5M/gZOOvb8pCXU/s1600/Fiat-Uno-Sporting-3.jpg
Exterior The Fiat Uno

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/TMCtlvjFGAI/AAAAAAADc5E/GrqlZLYXsxY/s1600/Fiat-Uno-Sporting-2.jpg
2011 The Fiat Uno Sporting

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/TMCtlSnfthI/AAAAAAADc48/X_feZ4Usu34/s1600/Fiat-Uno-Sporting-1.jpg


After the first couple months in the Capital city of Spain I figured out that gasoline was not incredibly cheap as I first thought, but rather I was paying per liter and not per gallon (1 gallon is nearly 4 liters). Once I figured out the true price of gas I was happy to rent the tiny, knees-against-my-chest Fiat Uno. I stopped shopping for long underwear when I was told that the 40 degree summers days were in Celsius, meaning about 104 degrees in Yankee talk. And my fears of getting a speeding ticket for clocking over 120 on the freeway went away when 120 kilometers per hour worked out to be a keep-up-with-traffic 75 miles per hour. Just as well as that was about the top speed for that little Fiat.

I thought that my old middle school teacher would have been proud of me. I was feeling quite proud of myself. Then I had what I call "the incident" in the Mercado near the Plaza Major in the center of Madrid.

I had been sent to buy chorizo, a delicious type of Spanish sausage, for a party that my fellow American residencia slummers were going to throw for a couple of visitors from the States. That seemed simple enough. Buy enough chorizo to slice up and put out at a party for 20 or 30 people. I guessed that two or three pounds might be enough. The I thought I could get some extra as I can eat good chorizo morning, noon or night and I knew my friends would help themselves as well. So, maybe I would get five pounds. That seemed safe enough.

When I got to the stall of the vendor with, in my opinion, the best chorizo in town I had a sudden and inexplicable case of brain freeze. For some reason the pound to kilo (or vice versa) conversion turned to mush in my brain and I could not remember what was what. Then the tough-as-nails looking woman behind the counter asked me what I wanted.

"Chorizo," I said meekly.

"How much?" she asked in Spanish.

I had a small panic attack. I seemed to remember that either the pound or the kilo was about twice as much as the other. Or was I thinking of something all together different? A line was forming behind me. My mild panic attack ratcheted up a couple of levels. I took a shot in the dark. I knew I wanted about five pounds. I told her I wanted ten kilos.

"Ten kilos?" She asked with a look that made me immediately realize that I had backed the wrong horse on the conversion chart in my head. But there was no turning back. I told her yes, yes indeed, I wanted ten kilos of chorizo. Hoping the tone in my voice said, don't you think I know what I want?'

She gave me a funny look and nodded as she began to slice chorizo. And slice. And slice. And slice some more. The little pile of chorizo grew, as did the crowd around the stall. I thought I heard someone mutter something about a crazy American. Maybe it was my imagination, but I don't think so. Several minutes later I was walking back to the residencia, lugging a little over twenty-two pounds of chorizo. A kilo, as I have never forgotten, is about 2.2 pounds.

I learned a lot during my time in Europe. Sometimes at the expense of my pride (and/or indigestion system). Now that I have been back in the United States for many years I sometimes lament the U.S. not adopting the metric system. It would seem so much better to say I'm 22 kilos overweight...and not 50 lbs.